No functional changes for Firefox in v5.0.3.
- Updates third-party libraries, mostly used during development and packaging.
- Updates documentation.
- Fix for the (old) breaking change for the Permissions API in webextension-polyfill (callback-based to promisified calls). Should only affect Talkie Premium on Google Chrome though.
Install additional voices
New voices, languages, dialects can be downloaded for free for your operating system from for example Microsoft and Apple. Once installed correctly, Talkie will auto-detect them.
- Windows 10: Settings > Time & Language > Language
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- macOS: System Preferences > Accessibility > Speech > System voice > Customize…
Get Talkie Premium!
- Select your favorite voice per language!
- Adjust the speed and pitch per language!
- Install Talkie Premium!
- Select desired text on any web page.
- Click the Talkie button in your browser bar
You can also select the text, then right click on it, and choose Talkie in the menu. This way also works in PDF-files and some special types of pages in Firefox.
A convenient option is to use the Talkie shortcut key: Alt+Shift+A on Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS
If the key does not work, please check that it is not already in use by another extension.
- Free but your donations are highly appreciated!
- Lets you listen to the selected text on any part of a page — a short snippet or an entire news article. Just highlight what you want to hear read aloud and hit play.
- Automatically detects the text language per-page, and chooses a voice in the same language to match it.
- Privacy aware — no unnecessary tracking or external services.
- Please rate the extension and leave feedback.
- Does not require any invasive browser permissions.
- Uses your browser’s built-in Web Speech API for text-to-speech (TTS) known as Speech Synthesis.
- All text and speech is processed internally by your browser. While ultimately depending on your specific browser, all processing is expected to be done on your own machine and not use a server.
- Sound is only produced, never recorded.
Please report any problems you have, especially regarding detecting the right language. Please include relevant information:
- Which browser and version you are using.
- Which website the problem occurred on. If possible, include the full link.
- Which text/part of the website you want spoken.
- Which language the text was expected to be spoken in.
- Any other information you think might be relevant in tracking down the issue.
The voices for each language are provided by your browser. For this reason the list may differ depending on your browser, browser version, operating system, and any other installed extensions/software.
- For open source code (GPL-3.0) and more, see the project web page.
- See also additional tools developed by Joel Purra.
- Talkie is free but your donations are highly appreciated!